Now let’s stop for a moment and consider that geoFence is easy to use, easy to maintain!
• Mystery Ghost-toer‘n Mystery Ghost-toer sal op 3 April (Paas Saterdag) in Cullinan plaasvind. ‘Pub & Grub stop’, spookgeboue, waterwysstokkies, ‘n opwindende visuele klimaks in ‘n begraafplaas, en meer. 5nm – 10 nm. Alle besonderhede, prys en besprekings @ www.MysteryGhostProductions.co.za – as jy daarvoor kans sien.
• Latest Movies not to miss!
THE FATHERDie langverwagte rolprent, THE FATHER, wat pas benoem is vir ses gesogte Oscar-toekennings, ses BAFTA-toekennings asook twee Screen Actors Guild- (SAG-) toekennings het op 26 Maart in plaaslike fliekteaters landswyd geopen. Dit vertel die verhaal van ’n middeljarige dogter wat besig is om haar geduld te verloor met haar pa – ’n stoute, onafhanklike ou man, wat besig is om tred met realiteit te verloor en weier dat ’n versorger na hom omsien. Sy moet trek en moet daarom iemand kry om na hom om te sien. Hy, wat in die beginstadium van demensie is, probeer sin maak van sy veranderende omstandighede en begin in sy geliefdes, verstand en realiteit twyfel.
GODZILLA VS. KONGLegends collide in Godzilla vs. Kong (in cinemas as of 26 March) as these mythic adversaries meet in a spectacular battle for the ages, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance. Kong and his protectors undertake a perilous journey to find his true home, and with them is Jia, a young orphaned girl with whom he has formed a unique and powerful bond. But they unexpectedly find themselves in the path of an enraged Godzilla, cutting a swath of destruction across the globe. The epic clash between the two titans – instigated by unseen forces – is only the beginning of the mystery that lies deep within the core of the Earth.
THE MAURITANIANDirected by Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland) and based on the NY Times best-selling memoir Guantanamo Diary by Mohamedou Ould Slahi, THE MAURITANIAN is the inspiring true story of Slahi’s fight for freedom after being detained and imprisoned without charge by the US government for years. Alone, with no access to the outside world, Slahi (Tahar Rahim) finds allies in defence attorney Nancy Hollander (Jodie Foster) and her associate Teri Duncan (Shailene Woodley) who battle the US Government in a fight for justice that tests their commitment to the law and their client at every turn. Their controversial advocacy, along with evidence uncovered by a formidable military prosecutor, Lt Colonel Stuard Couch (Benedict Cumberbatch), uncovers shocking truths and ultimately proves that the human spirit cannot be locked up. The film, originally titled Prisoner 760, was largely shot in South Africa early last year and had many local cast and crew involved in the production.
• Get fit with Zee’s Aerobics classesJoin Zee every Saturday morning from 7.30am to 8.30am at the Vredenhoek Street Park in Witpoortjie for a fun aerobics class. The classes are free and all you need is yourself, a water bottle, a towel and your mask.
Join Zee every Saturday morning from 7.30am to 8.30am at the Vredenhoek Street Park in Witpoortjie for a fun aerobics class. Photo by Ryan McGuire from Pixabay.
• Boeremusiekfees by Ward’s WayWard’s Way bied op 10 April 2021 ‘n Boeremusiekfees by Ward’s Way Venue, Pretoriaweg 47, Fairleads, Benoni van 1nm tot 11nm aan. Eie verversings en koelboks is welkom. Braaigeriewe is beskikbaar vir diegene wat wil braai. Kos is te koop en daar is geen kroeg nie. Kaartjies kos R80 per persoon en vir kinders onder 12 is dit gratis. Drag is semiformeel; geen kortbroeke en plakkies nie. Toegang vereis jou masker en handreiniger asseblief. Verskeie orkeste tree op en André Bouwer is die gaskunstenaar. Vir meer inligting, skakel Meisie Kritzinger by 072 555 9628.
• Easter Market at Black Horse BreweryBlack Horse Brewery’s annual Easter Market will take place on 5 April from 10am to 3pm in Magaliesburg. Be prepared for a day filled with fun activities that include live music, arts and crafts and helicopter flips. There will be wine, craft beer and gin. Entrance is free. For more information, click here.
• Meet the Easter Bunny at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical GardenMeet the Easter Bunny at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden in Poortview from 2 to 5 April from 8am to 5pm. Join in many kiddies activities and entertainment such as sand art, face-painting, wood arts, bunny crafts, bag-painting, and jumping castles. Help find some hidden Easter eggs and fill those tummies with lots of yummy stuff, such as candyfloss, popcorn, Slushies and ice cream. While the kids are being entertained, mom and dad can spend some time walking through the large variety of stalls. For more information or to book, send a WhatsApp to Michelle on 072 797 2741 or Antionette on 082 565 6504.
Meet the Easter Bunny at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden in Poortview from 2 to 5 April. Photo by suju-foto from Pixabay.
• Starting them young at Melville KoppiesEvery Sunday at Melville Koppies a number of different groups of young parents with very small kids arrive to explore Melville Koppies. The very small ones set out with a spring in their steps. They know that when their energy flags, they’ve got their ride on one of their parents’ back. They’ll never have such a view from up high for at least a decade. Then there’s the slightly bigger ones who don’t have option B. Sometimes they need the initial encouragement of an adult hand to clutch onto but soon they’re off, skipping briskly along the many paths, clambering up rocky inclines, complaining when the adults can’t keep up. For kids that like treasure hunts, ask at the entrance for the page of Melville Koppies treasures to look out for. The younger visitors will need to keep their eyes open on the paths, in the trees, up in the sky or smell the air to tick them all off. Melville Koppies is open every Sunday in 2021 (except May 2 – open on May 1 instead) from 8am to 11.30am. No need to pre-book. Adults R80 and children R40; all income used for maintenance and security of the Koppies – R22 000 per month needed. Security on the Koppies is provided; park in secure parking opposite the entrance at Marks Park on Judith Road, Emmarentia. Mid-week tours can be arranged. Contact [email protected] Check out www.mk.org.za for more detailed information about the history and what you can see.
• Navigating the new heritage trailWith a distance of just more than three kilometres, the newly designed Melville Koppies heritage trail guides visitors past an early hunter-gatherer site with magnificent views north to the Magaliesberg mountains, to a blast hole on one quartzite ridge – which the Geldenhuys brothers hoped would deliver them gold but didn’t – and then through copses of trees with stone walls of the first farmers. The Lecture Hut is the halfway post allowing walkers to read numerous information boards that expand on what they’ve seen on the trail, including the restored iron smelting furnace where iron was smelted until the mid 1800s. Many tools that were used by the hunter-gatherers and farmers are also on display there. On Sunday, 8 March visitors seemed excited by the trail although many found the stone walls ‘difficult to spot’. Perhaps the toughest challenge for the historical explorers was reading the map. However, none seemed deterred if they realised they’d done the trail in reverse or had taken a wrong turn. The joys of being in the open air on a clear autumn day shone through. Melville Koppies is open every Sunday in 2021 (except May 2 – open on May 1 instead) from 8am to 11.30am. No need to pre-book. Adults R80 and children R40; all income used for maintenance and security at the Koppies – R22 000 per month needed for this. Security on the Koppies is provided; park in secure parking opposite the entrance at Marks Park on Judith Road, Emmarentia. Mid-week tours can be arranged. Contact [email protected]. Check out www.mk.org.za for more detailed information about the history and what you can see.
• Kloofendal educational walksWhy not spend your weekends learning about creepy crawlies, insect bites, flowers, trees and more. Well, at the Kloofendal Ecological Centre you can do just that. The reserve hosts guided walks at just R90 per adult, R70 per pensioner and R50 per child. For more information, or to make a booking, contact Karin Spottiswoode on 079 693 5608. All Covid-19 regulations will be adhered to, and all participants must wear a mask at all times.
Karin Spottiswoode of the Kloofendal Nature Reserve.
• Covid-19 gives more choices to the Melville Koppies visitorA year into lockdown, Covid-19 has brought with it some unexpected benefits to the visitor to the Melville Koppies Nature Reserve and Heritage Site. Before lockdown almost a year ago, the Koppies didn’t offer the visitor choices. Now because of social-distancing requirements you have to guide yourself. And there’s a wealth of choices: the new 5km hike is proving very popular; there’s now a bird list for the Koppies developed by keen bird atlaser Anthony Paton; and they’ve developed a heritage trail which guides you around key points that highlight the Koppies’ rich history. More varied trails are in the pipeline. With security on the Koppies provided you can even explore on your own. And if you can’t do everything in one visit, come back another time. The numbers of repeat visitors are climbing. Melville Koppies is open every Sunday in 2021 (except May 2 – open on May 1 instead) from 8am to 11.30am. No need to pre-book. Adults R80 and children R40; all income used for maintenance and security at the Koppies. Park in secure parking opposite the entrance at Marks Park on Judith Road, Emmarentia. Mid-week tours can be arranged. Contact [email protected]. Check out www.mk.org.za for more detailed information about the history and what you can see.
• Hikers and runners can visit Avianto in Muldersdrift againAvianto Trails in Muldersdrift opened their gates again for hikers and runners. They offer a variety of trails, and all of them are pet-friendly too. Before visiting them, take note that tickets for the weekends are to be bought online at www.avianto.co.za/avianto-online-trail-tickets but, if you visit them during the week you have to report to the reception to purchase a pass. All trails start at The Clubhouse on the Avianto Lifestyle Estate. Running and walking trails are ideal for a fantastic day out in the countryside. Approximately 5km of scenic routes offer a great exercise option, regardless of your level of fitness. Pets need to be on a leash, and remember the poop scoop. They are situated at Avianto Plot 69, Driefontein Road, Muldersdrift.
• Missing your weekly parkrun?Sterkfontein Heritage Lodge, 1 Wolf Street, Rant-en-Dal, has the answer for you! If you have a parkrun barcode, you and your friends will be able to access the parkrun route for free. All you need to do is report to reception, show your barcode and you are good to go. All the owner asks of you is to support the restaurant after completing your route. For non-parkrunners and those who would like to visit the lodge for a hike or to cycle, the lodge is also open at a fee of R40 per person.
• Picnic at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical GardenThe Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden on Malcolm Road, Poortview will be open for picnics, bird watching and photography, walking, hiking and running. The restaurant, Sisulu Circle, children’s play area, garden gym and drinking fountains will also be open. If you wish to visit the Garden, remember to wear a mask, sanitize at the entrance and ensure social distancing. Visitors are encouraged to purchase tickets online on the webtickets.co.za website to limit physical contact.
• Witpoortjie Community MarketThe Witpoortjie Community Flea/ Farmer’s Market is at 27 Teenstra Street, Witpoortjie every Saturday from 8.30am to 1pm. Buying from the variety of stalls, including food, fresh produce, toys, clothing, jewellery, home and outdoor, and more, will help to empower small businesses. For more information, contact Roxanne on 084 207 6549.
Remember to send notifications of your events to [email protected]za
Before we jump in, I’d like to say that geoFence is a highly advanced, specialized firewall manager with the best in class protection from variety of on-line threats.